Monday, July 20, 2015

Drugstore Superstars: Concealers

 Hey Glammies!  Welcome to the next installment of our Drugstore Superstar series!  This one is all about concealers.  Much like foundation, there is not one miracle concealer that is suited to everyone's needs... if there was, the company that sold it would make a killing!  So, I've broken down this post into categories, in order to help you find the best match for your needs.



Spot Concealer


For those of us with blemishes and imperfections to hide, L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer ($8.95) is an absolute Godsend.  The thick, full-coverage formula is ideal for spot concealing and it's been my go-to for years (beating out all of its high-end competitors).  You may have seen it in action in my Summer Glow Makeup video tutorial, which is on our YouTube channel (if you haven't, go check the video out here!).  Its stick packaging not only makes it easy to apply, but also easy to throw in your purse for on-the-go touch-ups.  As you'll find with many other concealers, however, it's not really multi-purpose.  For instance, I would never use it for concealing under-eye circles since I find the consistency to be quite dry and because it does not blend as easily over the skin.  As with most cream products, be sure to set this product with powder if you want it to stay put on your face all day.

Under-Eye Concealer


I rarely suffer from dark circles or bags under my eyes, so I don't find myself reaching for this product as often as some others.  However, when I'm extra tired and my eyes need some help in order to perk up and look awake, I grab my Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser ($9.99).  It comes in 6 shades and does a wonderful job of neutralizing dark purple shadows cast underneath the eyes.  The liquid formula is easy to blend (especially since most people have drier under-eye areas than the rest of their face), but it doesn't skimp on coverage.  On the other hand, I'm a bit torn on the sponge applicator because, although it does a great job of blending the product, I can't imagine that it's very sanitary since you can't remove the sponge to clean it.

Brightening Concealer


With the trend of highlighting and contouring your face becoming more and more popular, concealers that also highlight and brighten your features are becoming increasingly in demand.  For the cost-conscious, there's Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highighting Concealer ($7.99).  Its gel-based formula diffuses light, illuminates your skin and blends like an absolute dream!  Unlike other products that claim to do the same thing, it doesn't come off as streaky on the skin.  I wouldn't use it to conceal blemishes, however; not only does it provide very sheer coverage, but with the illumination factor drawing light and attention to the face, it may result in the complete opposite of what you're probably going for!  In other words, it may draw attention to any problem areas, as opposed to hiding them.

Color Correcting Concealer


I don't usually advocate the use of color correcting concealers for casual makeup users since they can be difficult to work with and because it takes practice to properly apply them.  However, if you have some skin issues that will not be covered up by regular, flesh-toned concealer, NYX Above & Beyond Full Coverage Concealer Jar ($5.00) is for you!  Here's a quick crash course on which colors do what:
  • If you want to conceal yellow discoloration (such as sallow complexions or yellow bruising), go for a lavender concealer;
  • If you want to conceal redness, go for a green concealer;
  • If you want to conceal purple discoloration (such as dark circles or scarring), go for a yellow concealer; and
  • If you want to conceal deep purple or blue discoloration and you have a deeper skin tone, go for an orange concealer.  (My fellow Glammie, Bex, mentioned this technique in her 1 Product, Multiple Uses blog post.)
This product is incredibly full-coverage and long-lasting, and a little goes a long, long way.  Just dab the product on your problem areas, layer your regular foundation over it and say goodbye to your hard-to-conceal spots!  These also come in more traditional flesh-colored tones for those of you that want a high-impact, full-coverage concealer that matches your skin tone.  Since they are so thick and high-coverage, it's not a consistency that I enjoy using all over my face, as they tend to make me look cakey, which is something I try to avoid as much as humanly possible!  Nevertheless, they have their place, so if your skin has any of problems that I mentioned above, you should give this product a whirl.

All-Purpose Concealer


Now, I know that I mentioned before I started this list that there isn't a concealer that is suited for everyone's needs, but bear with me.  The NYX HD Photogenic Concealer Wand is my absolute favorite drugstore concealer, and I have my freelance makeup kit stocked with every single shade.  It does a great job of concealing my blemishes and blends effortlessly under my eyes, and the lighter shades highlight my face perfectly.  Why on earth do I have this entire list of products if I use it for everything, then?  Because, as mentioned before, I don't really suffer from a great deal of face discoloration (especially after I put on foundation.)  This product has a light to medium coverage, which is all I really need, but some people might need more.

So, there they are, my concealer superstars from the drugstore!  If you want to check out the other blog posts from this series, click here.  Stay tuned for the next installment: Bronzers!

Glammie love!
~Jaz

No comments:

Post a Comment