Wednesday, September 17, 2014

One Palette, Five Looks with Urban Decay's Vice 3

Two weeks ago, we were just browsing our Instagram (follow us here!), and one of our favorite makeup brands teased a photo of their new palette: Urban Decay's Vice 3.  We instantly fell in love and began the countdown until it would be in our hands.  Well, the time has finally come... It's here!


Isn't it beautiful?!?
I would try to describe the palette for you, but why would I when the geniuses over at Urban Decay can do it so much better?
"With so many different finishes—matte, satin, sparkle and even metallic (to echo the iced-out metallic look of the palette itself), this palette is made for experimentation. The shades are arranged in columns: neutrals on the left, jewel tones in the middle and smoky shades on the right. Pair up the vertically color-coordinated quads or go wild and mix them up. Our Pigment Infusion System™ gives each shade its velvety texture, rich color, serious staying power and blendability."
Since you can use the palette in quads, I decided to not only swatch each color, but to create a look only using each quad.  So without further ado, here's One Palette, Five Looks! (I'm sorry about the lighting.  I'm still trying to figure out where I need to put myself when I take makeup selfies.)

Look 1: Everyday Neutral

I love a neutral eye for during the day.  Whether I'm going to work, meeting with a friend for lunch, shopping or even just running errands, this eye is my go-to when I want to look put together, but still natural.  The first four shades (Truth, Undone, Downfall and DTF) are perfect for any of these outings.  They were effortless to blend and not chalky at all, which can be a problem with matte shades.  They actually reminded me of the Naked Basics palette and that in itself is a huge compliment.

Truth on the lid and browbone, Undone as a transitional shade, Downfall as the crease color and DTF on the outer V
Look completed with Kat Von D Everlasting
Love Liquid Lipstick in Lolita

From left to right: Truth, Undone, Downfall, DTF






















Look 2: Bright and Tropical

This look, which featured Dragon, Freeze, Heroine and Brokedown, was a little unconventional for me since I rarely work with greens and blues.  However, in the interest of using every shade in the palette, I sucked it up and went for it, and I'm glad I did.  Since I decided to use only one quad per look, I didn't end up using a transitional shade, but I think my eye may have benefited from using one.  Thankfully, any of the browns used in Look One would've made a perfect transition.  As beautiful and pigmented as these colors were, they all had at least a slight shimmer, so I wouldn't normally use any for my crease, although I did in this case.  Brokedown was my absolute favorite out of the four... it's a little bit of gold, a little bit of khaki, a little bit of brown and a whole lot of awesome!

Brokedown on the lid, Freeze in the crease, Heroine in the outer V and Dragon on the lower lashline
From left to right: Dragon, Freeze, Heroine
and Brokedown
Look completed with Smashbox Be Legendary
Long Wear Lip Laquer in Off Duty






















Look 3: Fall Fabulous

Of all of the looks that I created, I think this one was my favorite.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that the thought of fall makes me giddy!  I feel like this quad (Vanity, Lucky, Reign and Bobby Dazzle) has everything that I want in a fall eye look: a great brown shade, a shimmery copper, an awesome highlight and a pop of color.  What else does a girl need?  

Lucky all over the lid, Reign in the outer crease, Bobby Dazzle on the browbone and inner corner and Vanity on the lower lashline
From left to right: Vanity, Lucky, Reign,
Bobby Dazzle

Look completed with Gerard Cosmetics lipgloss in
Cocoa Bean
























Look 4: Jewel Tone Goddess

I'm going to preface this by saying that this was my least favorite of all the looks that I created. These four colors (Alien, Alchemy, Bondage and Sonic) were automatically my favorites when I swatched them, but something got lost in translation when I put them on.  I'm mentioning this just because I don't want the look to shortchange these colors, which I think are absolutely gorgeous. Anyway, these beautiful jewel-toned reds, pinks and plums would be perfect for a fall-inspired nighttime look.  Despite the fact that I wasn't crazy about this particular look, Sonic is literally my favorite color in the entire palette.


Alchemy all over the lid, Alien in the inner corner, Bondage on the outer crease and Sonic on the lower lashline
Left to right: Alien, Alchemy, Bondage, Sonic
Look completed with Dior Addict Fluid Stick in
Trompre L'Oeil

Look 5: Club Glam

The last look used Last Sin, Angel, Defy and Revoler and is a blown-out smokey eye perfect for bringing a little bit of glam to a night out.  I loved the sparkle in Last Sin and Angel, but I wouldn't have complained if Revolver had been a bit darker.  I think it may have brought the smokiness to another level and made the look a little more dramatic.  Having said that, I still think that the look and the colors were beautiful.

Last Sin all over the lid, Angel in the upper crease, Defy in the lower crease and, to smoke out the lower lashline, Revolver on the outer lid and on the lashline
Left to right: Last Sin, Angel, Defy, Revolver
Look completed with Sephora Luster
Matte Long-Wear Lip Color in Deep Plum























Overall, I think that this is one of those palettes that can create any look you want, whether it be subtle and sweet or bold and daring.  It's a must-have for me!

I hope you enjoyed my take on the Vice 3 Palette!  How would you use it?

~Jaz

Pick up your own Vice 3 from Urban Decay or from Sephora.

All of the looks from this post were created with the following products:

No comments:

Post a Comment